In need of a new website? If you want to go down the DIY route then read on, because we’ve got some tips you definitely don’t want to miss out on!
Firstly, your website platform – it’s no secret that we favour WordPress, which is a great tool to help you create your website. It offers a wide range of themes that you can use to create a beautiful website and it allows you to customise just about every aspect of your site. Want to know more about WordPress? Check out our recent blogs here and here.
You don’t have to be a coding guru to use WordPress – even if you’re a newbie with a little experience using GUI front ends then you can definitely give it a go. And thanks to page builders that allow you to fully customise your website, you can create your pages with a simple drag and a drop process.
Drag and drop page builders are widely available as plugins and are built into many popular themes. They make it possible for users of all levels to make changes to the general layout of a theme, and it can make adding those extra flourishes super easy.
Here we will help you decide which page builder best suits your needs – so let’s get started!
Beaver Builder is a premium drag and drop WordPress page builder, and with over 500,000 WordPress websites built using it there’s little doubt that this is a reliable page builder.
- In-built on-boarding tour so you can get familiar with the interface quickly
- Create a website exactly the way you want it – fast and simple without having to delve into any backend code
- Simple and intuitive user interface with an incredible feature set
- Easy to use, just drag and drop and you’re on your way to a great looking website
- Comes with gorgeous page templates (and we’re talking about dozens of them)
- Uber-convenient because after choosing a template you can just edit the images and text and then publish it right away
- Works with any WordPress theme so you have full control over your content
- Your content migrates to the WordPress editor even after you stop using the plugin so you can use it again later
- Great support options and channels available
- Limited module library and customisation
- Overall design flexibility is a bit limited
- Takes a while to load when you click on to the next action – that constant loading can get very annoying.
Divi Builder is a powerful WordPress page builder that lets you build any type of design on your website. It comes in two forms:
- The standard “back-end builder’’ and
- The “front-end visual builder.”
Both of these interfaces allow you to build the same exact aspects of a website, the only difference is the interface and how they are presented. Divi is embedded inside the WordPress user interface, so it’s fantastic for making small and quick changes while you are in the dashboard.
- Works on almost any WordPress website
- Clean, almost minimalist interface
- Features advanced layouts without any experience using codes needed.
- Save the layouts you create to Divi’s library for later use
- A killer combination of layout possibilities – with over 40 modules, 20 row types, and 3 section types, you’ll
- definitely find a design that works for your target theme
- Save layouts and store them for future use
- Highly responsive – it’s super fast
- Great support channels available
- If you disable the plugin your layout will stop working. Switching to a different theme will make your website look crazy – it’ll be swamped with shortcodes, making your site virtually unreadable. That’s a problem, a huge one (unless you are happy to stick with the same page builder for the duration of your website).
- Incompatibility with some of WordPress plugins.
- No library preview views
Visual Composer is a powerful plugin that lets you create complex page layouts without the need to be a coding guru. It’s a simple WordPress drag and drop plugin that will help you get your website iup and running quickly – with all the power, speed, and freedom you deserve.
- Modern and clean interface
- Save and store element presets
- Choose from over 200 third party addons
- An affordable option for one site, personal use
- Lifetime updates and professional support
- Design can be confusing
- No UNDO button (we seriously cannot understand why this feature is lacking)
- Limited page templates
- No global elements
- No real-time editing
- Expensive for multiple sites
- Customisation options is lacking
- Very little pre-sales support available
There are plenty of page builder plugins available but there you have our rundown on 3 of the most popular. These WordPress page builder plugins all let you create, edit and customise your site layout without the need to muddy the waters by getting into the back end code. And because they’re all drag and drop, they can improve your productivity and save you money in the long run.